Lowder Mill is set in a beautiful valley in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the borders of West Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire. within the South Downs National Park. The mill house and the former water mill are set in over 3 acres of gardens, with the additional expanse of the former mill pond and 3 acres of woodland. Both the house and the former mill are listed as buildings of Architectural and Historic interest, being of 17th century origins with 18th century and later additions.
The property was first used solely as a residence in the 1920's, when the original garden was laid out including the streams and waterfalls that are now such a feature of the garden.
The garden had been neglected when the present owners, Anne and John Denning took over the property in 2002. With the help of garden designer Bunny Guinness they set about transforming the garden. The hard landscaping works, including the new pond in front of the mill and the courtyard between the mill and house, were the first part of the project to be completed. The derelict greenhouse was rebuilt as well as the development of the raised vegetable beds, potting shed and log store. The planting schemes will continue t, particularly those around the lake, where a lot of clearing was needed to create a lakeside walk.
The garden is now a haven for wildlife,although it is a battle to keep the foxes and deer out. There are also the resident kingfishers, which are often to be seen swooping over the mill pond or close to the waterfall on the lower pond in front of the mill, and the beautiful collection of rare breed chickens and ducks.
Between 2005 and 2019 the garden was open to the public under the National Garden Scheme. Over these years, tens of thousands of pounds were raised for the National Garden Scheme charities.
The gardens, woodland and the former mill are available for film and photo shoots